Kununurra (34C) to Melbourne (10C) - Ouch! A trip/<span class="highlight">track</span> condition report.

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 12, 2010 at 23:56
ThreadID: 80678 Views:7094 Replies:10 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
It’s frightfully hard to believe that 5 days ago I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt and sipping cool ones in the Kimberley to be now replaced by the harsh realities of Melbourne weather. bleep it’s cold!!!

Sadly after after nearly 15000 kilometres and three months on and off the road across the north west and Kimberley, the sojourn has come to an abrupt and reluctant end. We put some 1600 km on the quads while away and covered some fantastic and remote country also managing to return and introduce friends to some of my favourite locations (think Rudall River). A definite highlight was finally making to Dragon Tree Soak and the even more unique Elizabeth Soak. Some great adventures. Here are a few road conditions as we found them. The earlier sections will be dated by now (although some things never change) but the Kimberley and Tanami were travelled in the past two weeks.

Cheers All. Mick.

P.S. Sorry I missed you Fred....I looked!

Old Gunbarrel Hwy
Very corrugated from the turn off the Great central Road and continuing out the first 70 odd Km along the Rawlinson Range to Mt Forrest. Not too bad after that.

Gary Highway
Getting overgrown in patches with the odd patch of corrugations and a few washaways here and there particularly around stony rises at the northern end. No issues here.

Northern Section of the Rudall Access Track from Telfer
Great and well maintained as you would expect now that they’ve popped a bloody great Uranium Lease on the top side of the park (Kintore Lease). Last 7 km to the DQB turnoff deteriorates quickly to the sandy track it’s always been. Access to the DQB is still rough and rocky. I always forget just how rough that track is!

Skull Springs Road
Blessed by the Grader Gods in mid July but now possibly rain affected.Check locally.

Gibb River Road (As at July 22nd)
I thought it was in good nick comparatively speaking. Coming from the west it is in very good nick up until Mt Barnett. 15 km of road works after Mount Barnet and then the odd sandy patch and corrugated section. A bit rougher in the eastern section to and around Ellenbrae and further deteriorates to poor condition once passed the ELQ turn but you’d expect that.

McLarty Track (West)to McLarty Hills (Entry from Shelamar or Nita Downs – Permission required)
Gone – forget it. It’s now a memory only if trying to access from the west. No better past old McLarty 1 site on the top edge of the Great Sandy (south of the Edgar Range)

Anna Plains Track
What Track???? Overgrown and gone once passed the rocky ranges 100 km east of the Great Northern.

Kalumburu Road. (as at 7th August)
Lives up to its name. Heavily corrugated all the way from the Gibb River Road to the Mitchell turnoff. Condition improves once passed that with perhaps 10 km of further corrugations before the road improves. Still patches of exposed rocks and the occasional dip to watch for though. Road is fairly rocky once past the Carson River.

Mitchell Plateau Road (As at 6th August)
Corrugated and rough. Road was littered with vehicles awaiting new shocks or suspension components. Take it slow and do the trip in 3 hours for comfort and your vehicles sake. Still a lot of water at both Mitchell Falls and King Edward River.

Tanami Track (as at 8th August)
Reasonable to good for the first 200 km from Halls with the odd bit of corrugation and rough stuff as expected. Great sections of compacted limestone surface holding up well leading down to Billiluna Turnoff. Road deteriorates in condition as you head further south east with water across the road still at Tanami Range. Plenty of traffic on the track though. Heavy corrugations in patches particularly when crossing the NT border area. Still large puddles of water on the track in the last 100 km leading into the bitumen at Tilmouth Roadhouse.Grader was commencing work around Cassidy Bore filling in the holes.

Coober Pedy to William Creek Road (168 km)
Very Good condition and easily traversed, Little if any corrugations.

Oodnadatta TrackWilliam Creek to Maree.
OK for the first 100 km then fairly cut up down to Marree. Road was closed passed the Roxby Downs Turn (Borefield Road) from Tuesday due to rains. Borefield Road to Roxby is treacherous and now closed thank god. It should never have been opened earlier this week.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 00:15

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 00:15
G'day Mick and welcome back to the big smoke. You're going to have to change your avatar now if you've crossed the KE again.

Look forward to reading your blog when it's all done and also your video. I presume you've got countless hours of video to edit and upload.

Cheers

Dunc.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 427085

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:47

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:47
Cheers Dunc. The crossing was not as dramatic this year with just enough water to get the tyres wet. KE campground is a breat place to rest and we spent an extra night here and spent the day relaxing and searching the nearby outcrops to the east for the "sunburst" wandjina paintings (we found them too). Mate there were three video cameras and a lot of photos taken. It'll take me months just to sort them all out.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697703

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 00:51

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 00:51
Good to see you home safe and sound mate.
Look forward to catching up soon.

Cheers

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 427086

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:47

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:47
Thanks John. It was a close won thing with the Oodnadatta and Borefield Roads. Catch you soon.

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697704

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 01:27

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 01:27
Hi Mick,
Good to hear from you! Looks like I will have to show you how to pop those updates into the Road Conditions page - there is a little button for people to enter their annecdotal reports directly into each road listed. Oh well, its good to read anyway. Don't ya hate being home :( Ease into it slowly.
MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 427087

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:51

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:51
Cheers D & M. Yes it is extremely hard after 3 months by the campfire. The road conditions pages have been updated and I see it's a lot easier to up contribute information so well done there.Forum always seems to be peoples first port of call though so I've covered all the bases.

Cheers. Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697705

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:38

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:38
As always, you're on the ball then, thanks Mick.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697715

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 10:08

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 10:08
Gooday Mick,
glad you had a good trip as we did. Although not as cold as Melbourne, coming home to Darwin was a bit of a reality check as well, so understand how you feel. Our trip was far toooooooo shooort! lol...
Maybe we can catch up next time.... that is if you really do exist.... lol..
Look forward to the blog.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 427109

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 16:42

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 16:42
Ha Ha Fred,

I can assure you I do exist. After DQB we got ourselves well and truely "disappeared" into the north western reaches of the park visiting the Darlsen Pinnacle, Camel Valley and expanding on our earliier exploration of 2008. Was gobsmacked to find the Kintore Uranium Lease Survey Camp being prepared. All the old lines we recorded in 2008 and some of the best at sites near Rudall now fall within this lease so I can only imagine what will happen to treasures like the Turtle Pool petroglyphs.

Ran into quite a few EO-ers at DQB and Tjarra Pool. I see that someone has swiped the jar of notes from Tchuckardine Pool as well. Why escapes me but we rebuilt the cairn and started a new jar for passing travellers. Glad to see you had an enjoyable trip. Could easily take off again right now but work awaits on Monday.

Cheers Mick.
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697739

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:13

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:13
Thats only a 24c variation in 5 days , try a 28c variation from 5.30 am to 1.30pm as is happening at the geographical centre of QLD. LOL.
AnswerID: 427117

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 16:58

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 16:58
Still hard to take. I know I'd rather be up north knocking back a frosty one than knocking the frost off everything down here LOL.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697741

Reply By: Member Dick (Int) - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 14:08

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 14:08
G'Day Mick

I saw a reference in another post about you losing a wheel. What happened. Always good to know about these things and why they happened. I do carry spare studs but so far have never had to use them.

Looking forward to your Blog on the trip.

Dick
Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 427125

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 16:56

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 16:56
Thanks Dick. Spare studs have been something I've always carried since snapping two on the 720 ute in the early 80's. All five on the right rear wheel sheered and the wheel went west...no south actually. Thankfully I was nearly stopped when it departed and the trailer had been left at King Edward River Camp area.

Scotty was in like Flynn and we had her jacked and stripped in no time. Our relief was palatable when we found that Toyota had pressed the studs in and not screwed them in like in days of old (didn't have any easy outs with me). We used a centre punch to knock out the sheered studs and I had a full set of 5 in the spares kit so we were saved. I'd have hated to have had to pinch a spare from every other wheel to get going. We had it sorted and back onn the track to the Mitchell Falls Campground in an hour and 15 so pretty good going.

Causes are still being debated....vigorously!Blogs will take some time mate but they'll get there.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697740

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 at 10:44

Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 at 10:44
Dick,

some photos freshly downloaded.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697901

Follow Up By: Member Dick (Int) - Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:40

Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:40
Mick,

What a horrible feeling that must have been. You were fortunate to have other vehicles travelling with you (well I presume they were). Would be a worse feeling if you were all alone.

Now, why did this happen? I am sure you are as eager as the rest of the Toyota owners on here to know why. Were there any signs on the wheel to indicate that the studs had been loose pprior to snapping? I am sure you check your studs regularly, how long since the last check? I wonder did someone run them on with a rattle gun and let it hit a few too many times, maybe when it was being modified.

Presume you will replace the studs on the other wheels as a precaution.

You commented you were very heavy. Any plans to put the truck on a diet before next years trip.

Looking forward to more news and of course more pics.

Dick
Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 697910

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 at 12:35

Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 at 12:35
Mick do you still have the broken studs??
Would like to have a look at them up close.

How are you Dick?
Been awhile since you have been around.

Cheers

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 697916

Follow Up By: Member Dick (Int) - Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 at 18:05

Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 at 18:05
Mick,

Are you going to get the studs examined by a metallurgist to determine if they were stretched. Did you manage to recover the piece with the nut on it. Presumably it was in the vicinity of the departed wheel but may well have been thrown into the bush when it came off.

John,

I have been around and look at the forum most days but seldom post anything. I mostly spend my time in some other well know forums frequented by EO members.

Regards
Dick

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 697959

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 14:12

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 14:12
Mick

So how did the beast go ?

or do we have to wait till "the best blog's in the world" come out
I wait with "baited breath"

Cheers Mate
Bucky
AnswerID: 427126

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 17:07

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 17:07
Hey Bucky,

Beast went exceptionally well although she's heavy, real heavy. The mileage was extremely poor (20l per 100km highway cycle). I had her 10K service done in Broome while there awaiting the princess and they were very happy with it. Surprisingly little in the way of damage despite both the GSD, Rudall and Gibson crossings. That V8 grunt is something to behold though when it's needed and it went well in most situations. I was down in the sand on more than one occassion but I think weight and incorrect tyre pressures were the contributing factors in a liot of this (oh and I had only one hub turned into lock on one occassion...doh!).

The Minister for war & Finance was with me for the month and enjoyed herself. Having developed an appreciation for outback travel, I may have approval for further spending in the next budget -Yee Hah.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697742

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 19:23

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 19:23
Makes the Humvee look like an econo car at 15-16l/100k ;-)))) on the highway.
FollowupID: 697751

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 19:41

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 19:41
Yeah I still reckon your math is flawed Pete LOL. You know Toyotas though mate.

;-)
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697754

Follow Up By: CJ - Saturday, Aug 14, 2010 at 09:46

Saturday, Aug 14, 2010 at 09:46
Humvee 15-16 on highway empty is probably off the scale when carrying the weight Mick carried!

CJ
FollowupID: 697812

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Aug 14, 2010 at 10:37

Saturday, Aug 14, 2010 at 10:37
"oh and I had only one hub turned into lock on one occassion...doh!"

Hey fella don't think your gonna get away with it that easily, a quick passing comment in a thread :)))

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697818

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Aug 14, 2010 at 11:30

Saturday, Aug 14, 2010 at 11:30
Mick
Cheers for the reply, and it sounds to me that you actually own a 4.2 TD Patroll in disguise ( hehehehehe )
We too get bad economy at or near highway speed, fully loaded up, and heaven forbid if we have to drive into a head wiind,,,, but out on the Canning we actually did better than expected. (5+ km/lt)

So just how heavy were you Mick ?
We were 4.7 tonne with a full complement of fuel and all the other heavy spares ect, that we never needed, but would have, if we didn't take them.
You know how it is !

Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 697821

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Aug 14, 2010 at 14:08

Saturday, Aug 14, 2010 at 14:08
Bucky I'm too scared to put it over the weigh Bridge LOL. I am under my GCM of 6000kg with the trailer and quad. I know she's sitting 7 cm higher now all the stuff is out of her LOL.

Al, I still reckon it was sabotage. Have found a video clip of a shady looking character making his way to my hub while looking around suspiciously.....! Might have to turn it over to the court of public opinion. ;-)
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697836

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:49

Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:49
CJ that is a fully loaded with second spare tyre case, Foxwing awning and Shippshape on the roof weighing in at around 4 tonne with 270l fuel, 150l water and tucker for a month.
Micks truck will travel faster on the highway though due to gearing of the Humvee.
The trick is to be able to cruise at the sweet spot where torque is at the optimum. The big old 6.2 litre V8 diesel in the Humvee is sitting on max torque at just under 2,000 rpm which equates to 95 kph. Chuck in a headwind though and as the gearing is too high speed plummets and fuel consumption jumps to 17-18l/100k. Still not bad for something with the aerodynamics of a brick outhouse.
FollowupID: 697895

Reply By: Marion - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 16:56

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 16:56
Hi Mick,
great read, looking forward to the rest and some photos, good to see you home safe but maybe sorry. Cheers Marion
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 427136

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 17:10

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 17:10
Thanks Marion. It will be a time consuming exercise over the coming weeks I'm sure.

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697743

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 20:28

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 20:28
Welcome back Mick, sounds as though you have had another great trip. Look forward to hearing more about how the new rig travelled, and of course reading all the blogs.

No travel for us this year - house maintenance too long neglected instead!

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 427156

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Aug 14, 2010 at 08:51

Saturday, Aug 14, 2010 at 08:51
That sounds very much like my 2011 J & V. Painting, laundry cupboards and a whole lot more. I'm sure I'll be able to sneak away for a week or three though :-) I've started converting the videos over as we type.

Cheers Mick.

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 697806

Reply By: Member - Munchy > WA. - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 22:06

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010 at 22:06
Hi Mick…
Like others I’m looking forward to reading the blog, I spent lots of time in my younger years in the Pilbara, one spot you mention here is Dragon Tree Soak, although I have flown it I never drove in there and had a look around and was planning to do so, you were saying access from the West is no good, in that case what’s the best option??.
Cheers… Munchy.
AnswerID: 428462

Sponsored Links